See photos (3)

Chapel des Plans

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, listed, Baroque in Saint-Gervais-les-Bains
  • The decision to build the chapel in Les Plans was made in 1681, but the building was not constructed until 1709. It started thanks to Joseph Mollard, priest and doctor in theology, originating from the hamlet of Les Plans.

  • Located at 1100 m in altitude, it seems to be the work of a travelling architect originally from Valsesia in Piedmont.
    This chapel is small and squat. Its façade is decorated with medallion inscriptions that are also found on the interior ceiling, reflecting religious maxims or invitations to prayer
  • History, culture and heritage
    The chapel has been listed as a Historic Monument since 1975.

    Its restoration in 2017, thanks to the ITINERAS project, has restored the interior and exterior to their original state.
    Geometric and floral motifs adorn the interior frieze and the cartouches of the paintings. The painting of the Holy Family, above the altar, belonged to the parish but was not originally installed in the chapel. It has been restored and displayed here to match the cartouche inscription found during the restoration.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • From June 15, 2024 until October 31, 2024
    Open Everyday
Close