See photos (3)

Chapel of Champoutant

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, Baroque in Saint-Gervais-les-Bains
  • The Viollat family founded the Champoutant Chapel in 1652. It is dedicated to Saint Roch and Saint Sebastian, who were traditionally invoked to protect
    against the plague—which was still hitting the Savoie in the 17th century.

  • The Viollat family founded the Champoutant Chapel in 1652. It is dedicated to Saint Roch and Saint Sebastian, who were traditionally invoked to protect
    against the plague—which was still hitting the Savoie in the 17th century.
    Destroyed by a fire, the chapel was rebuilt in 1727. The gable roof is topped with an elegant, wooden steeple. The façade is protected by a large awning
    decorated with wooden lambrequins.
  • History, culture and heritage
    Like many 17th-century chapels, Champoutant's chapel was founded in 1652 by the Viollat family. Until the French Revolution, the Viollats exercised the right of patronage, a privilege of protection and maintenance handed down from generation to generation. The site's patron saints, Saint Roch and Saint Sébastien, were traditionally invoked to combat the plague that was ravaging the region in the early 17th century.
    Inside, many of the chairs bear the names of people on small white ceramic cartouches.

    Until 1955, all chapels and churches used chairs with names. Parishioners were able to hire their chair and inscribe their name on a ceramic plaque, thereby generating additional income for the parish or the parish priest. This process was known as the "chair tax". The chapel also preserves various decorative objects, including a magnificent antependium (cloth decoration in front of the altar) decorated with colourful palm and scroll motifs, surrounding the monogram of Christ IHS meaning "Jesus the Saviour of Man".
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • From June 15, 2024 until October 31, 2024
    Open Everyday
Close