See photos (3)

Chapelle de Cupelin

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, Contemporary, Baroque in Saint-Gervais-les-Bains
  • The construction of Cupelin Chapel was funded by all the inhabitants of this hamlet in 1654. Its patron saints are the Virgin Mary and Saint Guarinus,
    patron saint of animals.

  • The construction of Cupelin Chapel was funded by all the inhabitants of this hamlet in 1654. Its patron saints are the Virgin Mary and Saint Guarinus,
    patron saint of animals.
    A large mission cross is found at the entrance. It features the instruments from The Passion: the spear that impaled His body, the dice the soldiers used
    to cast for His robe, and the crown of thorns He was forced to wear.

    In 2015, a set of 12 stained contemporary glass windows created by Father Kim En Joong was...
    The construction of Cupelin Chapel was funded by all the inhabitants of this hamlet in 1654. Its patron saints are the Virgin Mary and Saint Guarinus,
    patron saint of animals.
    A large mission cross is found at the entrance. It features the instruments from The Passion: the spear that impaled His body, the dice the soldiers used
    to cast for His robe, and the crown of thorns He was forced to wear.

    In 2015, a set of 12 stained contemporary glass windows created by Father Kim En Joong was installed. Kim En Joong is a Korean artist who has
    developed a spiritual art form based on light and colour. His works combine Far-East forms and Western colours.
  • History, culture and heritage
    Cupelin chapel was built in response to the desire of the villagers to have their own place of worship. Built in 1654, it is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and to Saint Guérin, the protector of the flocks, represented by a charming painted wooden statue. Restoration of the chapel in 2022 enabled us to rediscover its original decoration, visible both in the pastel-coloured keystones and in the altarpiece adorning the choir. An X-ray analysis of the painting illustrating "The recovery of Jesus in the Temple of Jerusalem" confirmed that it had been completely repainted, leaving only one figure in the foreground, probably the kneeling donor, covered over and now invisible.

    The cross at the entrance, bearing the instruments of Christ's Passion, recalls a mission carried out in the valley in 1826.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • From June 15, 2024 until September 23, 2024
    Open Everyday
Close