See photos (2)

Chapelle de la Gruvaz

Historic site and monument, Religious heritage, Chapel, Baroque in Saint-Gervais-les-Bains
  • The chapel in La Gruvaz was founded by the hamlet’s inhabitants in 1660.

  • The chapel has thick walls and tiny windows on the façade and nave.
  • History, culture and heritage
    Like Bionnassay, the inhabitants tried unsuccessfully in 1760 to break away from the main village of Saint-Gervais. Located an hour and a half's walk from the parish church, the chapel was used for two monthly masses until the French Revolution, and its decoration was generously donated by the Jacquet de Passy family.

    The painted wooden altarpiece, adorned with two twisted columns surmounted by composite capitals, has been preserved, although the lowering of the ceiling has resulted in the loss of its upper section. The lower part of the altarpiece is decorated with cherubs' heads and plant motifs in bas-relief. The painting depicts most of the Alpine saints venerated in the 17th and 18th centuries, including the chapel's three patron saints: Saint Grat, protector of flocks, Saint Bernard de Menthon, also known as Saint Bernard of the Alps, and Saint François de Sales, Bishop of Geneva and propagator of the Catholic Reformation in Savoy.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Openings
Openings
  • From June 15, 2024 until October 31, 2024
    Open Everyday
Close